Thursday, March 26, 2009

Details of the aquerium set up

OK so the aquarium set up. I have purchased a 30"x12"x15" tank. Starting from the bottom I have an under-gravel filter to establish a mechanical and bio system that involves very little upkeep, only needing regular water changes using a gravel vacuum system (I use a piece of thin hose attached to a chopped 600ml soft drink bottle.)

Then I have filled the bottom of the tank with 20kg of black gravel. As this is a new aquarium set up I have not yet added any plants as they will have nothing to feed off. I have added a large piece of driftwood to create some atheistic character as well as a feeding ground for the fish that will follow shortly.

I am using a 125w heater and a two outlet air pump which runs the filter.

As mentioned in my last post there are two corydoras and ten tetras that are "dirtying" the tank. These fish are doing very well and are quite lively with all that room to themselves.

This weekend I will be picking up two 4" Whiptail Catfish, which the wife wanted. I like these fish as well and there will also be two Bristlenose Catfish added to the aquarium later. This will create a little overcrowding at the bottom level but I plan to add some plants and more driftwood to the bottom. The adverse effect of adding aquarium plants and driftwood with so many catfish will be I will not get to see them to often, but it will be so much better when I do see my catfish.

I then plan to purchase about five glass catfish, which are actually a mid level aquarium dweller so will not further contribute to the overcrowding of catfish on the bottom level. At the same time or later again I will be purchasing about three or four Black Tail Sharks. These are a very placid fish despite the name (they are not real sharks) and will hopefully finish off this aquarium nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment